Things I Learned in Canada:
By Amanda Katz
• Beanies are called toques.
• Beanie babies are called beanies.
• Poutine is actually really good.
• Canadians don’t use pennies.
• One dollar coins are called loonies.
• Two dollar coins are called toonies.
• The drinking age is 19.
• Sales tax is horrible.
• 100 kmph is 60 mph.
• Buses flash “Sorry” when they aren’t in service but still on the road.
• When you bump into a Canadian they say sorry, too.
• You can’t bring Kinder Eggs back into the U.S.
All silliness aside, I had a great time in New Westminster, Canada at a conference for student leaders in higher education. I networked with other students from the Pacific North West Region and brought back a lot of new skills and information that I plan on utilizing in this upcoming year.
Have you ever been to Canada or another country? What fun things did you learn?