Summer will soon be in the air! Classes are winding down, and I am getting near to checking out. The next two weeks will be the longest two weeks, but they will be worth it. Here are some local places I will go this summer:
• Do you want to go swimming and enjoy a kickback environment with family and friends? Then I recommend going to Marine Drive or Sauvie Island out in North Portland. It is a great place to lie out a towel, hang out, and BBQ some hot dogs.
• The local Saturday Market (www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com), where there is an immense amount of delicious food booths, great local artists, and people just enjoying their time outside. I advise to carry cash, some booths will able to take debit/credit cards.
• The Waterfront holds several festivals during the year. The Rose Festival (every weekend starting May 24th until June 9th, http://www.rosefestival.org) is a fair with games, booths, rides, and…of course, lots of greasy eats. The Blues Festival (July 4-7, http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com) is also fun and packed with stage artist performances throughout the day. The neat thing about the festival is that 100% of proceeds and donations will go to the Oregon Food Bank. Come make an impact on the community, while enjoying the blues!
• Last Thursday on Alberta (www.lastthursdayonalberta.com) I have yet to go to this, but it held every last Thursday 6-10 p.m. during the months from May to September. They close off the whole street to showcase the works of many local artists, musicians, and performers.
• For the outdoorsy adventurous folks, hiking is probably one of the most pleasurable and relaxing activity (and workouts!) to do. Multnomah Falls is one of the best ones. Get some hiking gear, water, snacks, sunscreen, and a positive attitude, and you’re in for a good time with nature.
What local summer attractions do you recommend?