By: Amanda Katz and Marilynn Sandoval
Ahh at last, the time when every incoming freshman student counts the days until they move out of their parents’ home and into a college dorm. Keeping in touch with their future roommates, who may be from other states and countries. Trying to figure out who will bring what and what their taste and preferences are.
Well, we have some tips for you incoming freshman. Having lived in the dorms for a combined three years at PSU, we have learned a few things.
1. Keep your doors open during Viking Days so you can meet new people!
2. Walk through each floor saying “hi” to others with their doors open. Hey, you could meet your new best friend!
3. Bring these essentials: cleaning supplies, laundry hamper, power strips and a side table.
4. Get involved with activities during Viking Days and throughout the school year. They are fun and there is free food at almost every single one! Here’s the schedule: http://bit.ly/ZaXCdy
5. Invite students you don’t know from your floor to hang out with you.
6. Be nice to your Resident Assistant; they are there to help you, not hurt you.
7. Don’t bring: toaster ovens (not allowed), extra clothes (if you don’t wear it often don’t bring it), gigantic stereos (leave them at home unless you’re a DJ), things that hang off a ceiling (not allowed).
8. Ondine students: Bring bed risers, so you can lift your bed off the floor. You can find these at your local stores such as Target, Walmart and TJMaxx
Broadway students: Save space by lifting your bed up from the lowest setting to the highest setting (ask your RA if you have questions on how) and putting drawers and other storage underneath.
9. Roll up t-shirts in your drawer to space save.
10. Lastly, bring posters, photos, and wall art to liven up your walls.
Hopefully these few quick tips will help all you freshman looking forward to the moment you have “freedom.”
So, our fellow dorm-life students, are there any other tips you would give to first-time students living in a dorm? Would you recommend living in a dorm or not?